Sunday, October 6, 2013

Slimey Crud Run Fall 2013

 Twice a year I try to attend the Slimey Crud Run. Its a great chance to hang out with other motorcycle enthusiasts and see some nice bikes. There is a limited cruiser crowd here. Its one of the few gatherings where if you see a v-twin its more likely a Ducati, Indian or TL Suzuki rather than a HD.

The thermometer read 42 degrees but it was gonna be sunny so I knew a lot of bikers would show up.

A quick stop for fuel
I had to travel about 90 miles. Using the ferry in Merrimac really doesn't save time, its just a novelty.
The ferry holds 15 cars and takes 7 minutes to cross the wisconsin river. Its the only free ferry in the state.






    
The ferry is self powered but guided along by cables.




A pretty good turn out.


Flat head v-8 scoot.
The owner said the light was added temporarily but ended up getting painted and left on.

 The rat turd got a lot of attention. When I wasn't drooling on others bikes I was hanging out within earshot of mine. I really enjoyed hearing some of the comments. The best one was something like this: "This bike is proof that the winters are too long in wisconsin." Ain't that the truth.




I used to have one of these. I tried adapting the engine to a snowmobile. The project came to an end when we (me and some buddies) were evicted from our rental (the "animal house"). The owner let the fire department burn it down in a training exercise. The sled was still in the basement.
I had to stop and see what this was. Its a big ball of barbed wire sitting on a post.
Theres a butteryfly stuck in there.
 I had a good time. It was a chance to see some bikes that you don't see all that often. I didn't make it to Leland, the destination much of this group rode to in small packs. Theres a lot of good riding over there and I'm looking forward to next spring. Maybe I'll have something new on the rat turd for the crowd to point and giggle at.

2 comments:

  1. I am enjoying your blog thanks to JBMFT. Nice pictures and writing; I am learning more about Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I appreciate that. I'm finding I have a lot to say but putting it in writing is much more difficult than the grunts and gestures I normally use to express myself.

    ReplyDelete