Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Pissed off about Piston

 I started tearing into the BSA engine to see what was going on in the cylinders. I had previously scoped the cylinders and thought I saw some scoring. Sure enough, one piston is screwed.





 The rings are stuck in the grooves of the near piston. The piston is scored pretty bad as well.


 Its already been bored once. I suppose I could bore it one more time and pick up a pair of pistons. There is something I noticed that I don't remember from 35 years ago but it seems one of the cylinders had a crack in it and was repaired.Maybe it was repaired when it was sent out to be bored.


The picture doesn't show it well but a very small crack is visible inside the cylinder. I don't know if I should be concerned because its on the cylinder with no piston scoring. Right now I'm thinking about pulling the engine and keeping my eyes open for repair options. The rest of the bike needs plenty of work so I have enough to keep me busy for a while.
 First up will be stripping it down to the bare frame. I need to paint it before the weather turns too cold. Tearing it down will also give me a chance to handle every part and decide what needs to be fixed, painted or replaced.
 Saturday I plan to work and Sunday is the Slimey crud run so I may not get much done on the BSA this weekend. Stay tuned for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment