Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Triple Rack Slow Progress

 I spent an hour after work yesterday working on the triple rack and I can tell you progress is slow. I think the biggest problem I'm having is that I feel it could be about two inches wider which is just a bit more than the amount of space the pocket door is taking up at 1 3/8". I'm not even sure why I feel this way considering I don't have a layout plan for whatever tools are gonna hang in this thing. I'll just keep moving forward and whatever I end up with will be just fine. Its weird, I have a goal to fit certain things in here and they will easily fit but it seems if done right this thing could hold a lot of stuff. A drawer is a wonderful thing if you want to hide something or for objects that need to lay flat but once it gets more than one layer deep its just a mess. I have two such drawers in the box right now and it drives me nuts. Every tool in this rack should only be one layer deep and easily visible.

 At the beginning of the day I had just a bunch of pieces cut to size.


 As I look at the above pic I realize that those pieces were cut out days ago and they all fit nicely so there must be some sort of plan rolling around in the back of my head. At the end of the day it looks like this:


 I know it doesn't look like much but it does represent what the final layout will be. The three pieces of plywood are just scraps used to space the slides. I'm not sure why I didn't just use the full panels but I may have been thinking of painting them first. I'm just gonna make a few notes here and when its all done we'll see how much of this changes. These are for my benefit.
*the door needs the sharp edges sanded, then paint. Plain red is getting boring.
*add a magnet to the plywood behind the door to hold it in place when slid into cabinet.
*drill a finger recess in plywood to allow grabbing door panel and releasing it from magnet.
*paint back of door plywood panel with chalkboard paint. credit JT the Barber
*replace those damn soft close slides
*ensure access to emergency lock on side of hutch.
*1/4" round locating pins on door left side will work if relief is cut in plywood when door is stored.
*the extra lock mechanism I already have will work if plywood is relieved near hinge.
*the twenty storage bins need to be cut down and have plexiglass added to their front panels.
*i wonder if anyone is actually reading all this.
*beg, borrow or buy a set of forstner bits.
*panel pull handles need a dado cut and edges softened.
*design the spray can racks
Thats enough for now.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment