Sunday, November 29, 2015

Giving Thanks

 As you know, Thursday was Thanksgiving Day. Traditionally our family and friends would gather at our house to enjoy each others company and a feast. This would be my first Thanksgiving without my mother and it just didn't feel right to celebrate the holiday the same way we had in the past.
 We received an offer to gather up the family and celebrate the day with friends Denny and Deena. D and D are owners of a local restaurant and we had the whole place to ourselves.

 Denny has never cooked anything I didn't like so I knew the food would be delicious. Even foods with fancy names and ingredients I don't recognize always satisfy.

  Now you may look at this pic with canned cranberries in it and wonder about how much fine dining went on here. What you're actually looking at is a gesture on their part to make a few of us feel comfortable with something we have traditionally enjoyed. Thank you.


 We didn't just show up and chow down. My daughter Mackenzie has her Grandmothers secret recipe for mashed potatoes and prepared thirty pounds of them. Thanks Kenzo and my wife who helped peel them.
 I was blown away by the attention to detail. Deena really went out of her way on this one. She painted all those leaves and pumpkins in this pic and the entire presentation was fabulous. That girl really knows how to plan a party. Thanks Deena.


  The day felt a bit empty without mom there but family and great friends helped ease that pain. I'm thankful for those people in my life and I hope everyone reading this is as fortunate as I felt that day.


 On a lighter note, it turns out parking the Rat Turd in the living room is more than just a practical storage solution. After a great meal we returned to the house where this young man had some fun with a photo shoot. Maybe next year I'll roll a few more bikes into the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment