Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Top 10 Recent Annoyances

 Right off the bat you can tell what kind of mood I'm in. This week started off for shit right away on Monday morning when I was riding to work. Something wasn't right and I couldn't put my finger on it, but I had a toe on it the whole time. When I came to my first stop fifteen miles from home I knew right away that I was wearing sneakers and not my work boots. Not sure how this happened but its a brain fart I hope not to have again anytime soon. I feel naked in sneakers and didn't feel comfortable in the shop the whole day.

 Here's a fun fact for ya. If you use BlackJack crack filler in your driveway and then it rains later that night, you end up with white crack filler and white stains where it ran. The pic below kinda shows it in the drive between the bike and truck.


 If you think this post is just gonna be a bunch of whining then I suggest you get out now. These are just annoyances in an otherwise normal week. If you want whining then we could talk about that rust bucket truck of mine or the state of my checkbook.

  How does a mosquito get into the bowl of a carb and block the jet? Greg was working on this carb when I heard him yell from the other side of the shop something to the effect of "Its bad enough those little f***ers bother you outside. Now they are bothering me inside a carb!" The jury is still out on how it got in there.


 This is kinda annoying. You build a nice tool hutch and it becomes just another flat surface for crap...only it has a door on it. The good news is that the hutch has been working great (when I keep it clean).

 Now that I have an Automower doing my lawn mowing for me, seeing the trimming it leaves for me is kinda annoying. Eventually I'll eliminate the need for any trimming in the yard. FYI the time I used to spend mowing is now spent doing all the other things I skimped on like weeding, pruning and squirting round up. That's not annoying. I'm just saying my yard looks better than it has in a long while.

 Speaking of Automowers, one annoyance is a machine that is effected by an underground utility. I'm told this isn't a common occurrence but of course if its gonna happen, its gonna happen to us. This machine will sometimes lose its signal when it passes over a combination of buried water pipe, phone and electrical wires. The good news is that we like a challenge and we're coming up with ideas to overcome this situation.


 And on the topic of outdoor lawn care, how annoying is it when a property you maintain is still in a contract with a nationwide pesticide company for the weed control and they burn the lawn while making an application.


 On the same topic, our spray crew had an incident the other day. I guess a tie down strap rubbed against a wire harness of one of the rigs while it was being transported in an enclosed trailer. They opened the door and smoke was pouring out. What they didn't know at the time was that the hold down strap shorted the harness and had burned from the melting wires and when the door went down the mower rolled out. Man I miss all the funniest shit. I guess the rig rolled down the road with our guys and a nearby construction crew chasing it trying to stop it. It finally stopped in someones yard and as I understand it, they drove it away and then put out the fire. I'm glad they have their priorities in order. None of that is really annoying but what is annoying is later that day when they did an application to the wrong property despite me having given them a correctly typed name and address. They made assumptions and while assumptions usually make an ASS out of yoU and ME, this time it just made an ass out of me because I'm the one that had to do all the 'splainin to the folks that missed their app and the ones that got something they didn't ask for.


 I think thats eight so the last two go to all the customers that can't count. If you bring in your broke ass weed wacker and I tell you one week, don't call in two days askin if its done. If I'm on the phone then I'm not at my bench fixin stuff so that slows the whole process down. And don't think your weed wackin needs are more important than the guy that showed up three days before you cuz they're not...unless you're a contractor earning a living with this equipment. Those guys get special consideration.
Rant over.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment