Sunday, September 23, 2018

Big Ass Station Wagon Update

 So its been a few weeks now since I bought a used Yukon XL. Did I get a lemon or a decent used vehicle? Almost right away I noticed it was pissing oil in my driveway. It didn't take long to realize it was power steering fluid. A quick text message to the salesman to confirm they'd stand behind it and then an appointment for it to be looked at. I had to wait over a week to schedule the repair because I would need a loaner. No problem, I'm a big boy and can add power steering fluid as needed.
 I showed up at the dealer and had to pull into one of their reception bays to drop the rig off. The bays are marked "trucks" and "cars". Hmmm. Nothing marked "big ass station wagon" or "oversized suv". While it would mean nothing to anyone else which bay I picked, in my mind it would forever solidify the way I feel about this rig. I was early and had time to give it some thought, then I eased on into the truck bay. Really, when you crawl underneath this thing its not much different than a 1/2 ton pickup...or is it? It turns out the loaner would be a good comparison rig. They gave me a 2018 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton with the same motor as my Yukon. The difference would be a six speed tranny rather than the four speed in the Yuke.



 The new GMC had only 650 miles on it and the sticker showed an asking price of $51K. The interior was pretty nice but I suspect not the top end package. It was nice to be driving a new vehicle but that niceness kinda wore off a few miles down the road. First I didn't care for the feel of the steering. I think this truck uses an electric pump and it just didn't agree with me. Second, and the only thing that would really keep me from buying one of these if it were in my budget, is the six speed transmission. The transmission is an indecisive little bitch and spends an awful lot of time hunting for the best gear. To me it was just plain annoying and I'd never be able to live with it. I'm not just being picky. This annoyance revealed itself right away on flat ground and brand new asphalt. Even with cruise control set the trans spent a lot of time shifting back and forth.
 So how does the Yukon compare? As far as towing goes I don't know. I haven't hooked my trailer up yet. As far as power they felt close despite the fact that mine is much more used, but I'd have to give that one to the new GMC. At times there was a considerable lag between flat footing it and tire spin. Other times it felt normal and the traction control button didn't make any difference. Not sure what was going on there. Ride comfort and drive-ability go to the Yukon. That transmission is a huge no-go in the new truck so the Yuke wins that one too.  
 The dealer ended up putting a new steering rack and pinion in my truck. They also fixed an exhaust leak I was unaware of. They claim to have done $2000 worth of repairs (or at least thats how they will claim it on the insurance policy that came with the purchase). I was responsible for a $100 deductible. I can see the new parts, I know how long they had it and they washed it afterwards. No complaints from me. That's the second time Holiday Budget Center has treated me right after a used car purchase had issues. 
 So, its been a few weeks now since I bought a used Yukon XL. Its nothing fancy but I'm liking it. 

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment