Wednesday, January 1, 2020

New Year Resolution

 Last night I wrote this post about how I was gonna be less of a dick head this year and try to improve my interactions with others. It went on and on in detail about how I would accomplish that goal. Lets be honest here, I made that same resolution back in 2017 and according to coworkers it lasted about fifteen minutes. Maybe this time if I try really hard and people aren't doing stupid shit all around me, I can be less of a dick head for the whole month of January.

 If you follow this blog then you know I've started to post videos on Sundays. One of my daughters caught on to that and decided a good Christmas gift would be a wireless mic. If you've seen (or heard) those videos then you know she was right. I like to pic up the camera and shoot free hand video and there is a lot of noise created by doing that. Also the volume of my voice changes a lot when speaking to the camera vs speaking from behind the camera. I'm not trying to win any awards here with my film making abilities but I do know how hard it is to suffer through a piss poor video no matter how interested I am in the subject matter. Here is the setup.


 What I have is a GoPro mounted in an aluminum case. That case has a compartment under it for the special adapter GoPro makes you buy to connect an outside audio source to the camera. I can then plug the wireless mic into that adapter. The phone on the tripod is an old one that I kept as a spare. It has the GoPro app on it and allows me to see what the camera sees or even control the camera. Really it just allows me to center the frame. In some of the videos I've noticed things were a bit wonky so this helps with setup and will show me if I'm about to step out of the shot. As far as controlling the GoPro, it has voice commands for that and works great when you remember the commands. I should have saved the video where I'm yelling at the camera telling it to stop filming.
 Maybe today I can get over to the shop and test this rig out and get you a video for Sunday. I wish everyone a happy new year and hope you can stick to your resolutions better than I have in the past.

Later.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your resolution, mine seem to go away faster than a New Year's Day hangover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. That hangover is something I didn't have to deal with this year. Got up at midnight (24 hours before new years day) and worked eleven hours. Got home and fixed the snowblower for the first run of the season. Cleaned the drive. Too tired to stay up till midnight.

      Delete
  2. I’ve given up on resolutions. A sure way to be disappointed. The microphone will be a good addition as good, clean audio is possibly more important than the video. Another suggestion would be audio leveling software so the level is consistent throughout the video. I’m not sure what software that would be these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After my next few videos please let me know if you still think the audio needs help. I thought I heard a hum when I was playing it back on the GoPro but not after I edited it on the computer. Thanks.

      Delete