Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Brick And Mortar Shopping

 Not a lot of interesting gear head type of things happened to me in the last few days since my previous post. Its been just an average couple of days with its ups and downs. The other day we went to Oshkosh and did a little shopping and a funny thing happened. We went to Harbor Freight tools and my wife spent more money than I did. Not because I'm not capable of dreaming up stuff I think I need but because I went in there with a list. We split up while I looked for my stuff and when we met back up she had more crap than I did. Atta girl.
 Later we saw a USCellular store and made a quick decision to pay off one of the phones on our plan. Almost never is going to the phone store a rewarding financial experience. We had a goal to lower our bill and one of the ways to do that was to drop the phone insurance. The phones are more than a year old so they're like ancient technology and a recent insurance claim on our daughters phone proved to us that it may be a good idea to insure them while brand new but after a short period of time its not worth it. Somehow some rocket scientist store clerk changed our phone plan during that insurance claim. They added something to our outdated plan and if I knew who did it I'd have words with them. The clerk we were dealing with on this day put us under a new plan and our monthly bill is almost a hundred dollars less now. As with all phone store transactions, I won't get too excited about it till I see our next bill.
 Another stop we made was to the shoe store. My wife was looking for some better work shoes and I wanted some sneakers, black please. Guess what? Shoes these days are all jacked up. Finding a simple black comfortable sneaker wasn't easy and when you do, theres a company logo splashed all over them. I finally found a compromise I think I can live with.
 The last store we stopped at was a large brick and mortar box store that is closing. Are they an Amazon victim? Maybe just too much store for too small of an area? Not sure but we stopped in for a few things and to see if we could find a deal. If I can shop local and pay a fair price thats great but sadly it wasn't gonna happen this day. A couple weeks ago my wife made a purchase of an item for $8. She figured it would be cheaper now that everything was closeout priced. Guess what. They went through and marked everything up before offering the new discount. The same item was now $12. We started looking around and most everything was priced this way. We left our partially filled cart in the aisle and walked out. That evening I went on Amazon and bought exactly what I was looking for and it only took minutes to find it. Guess what? Yesterday it was on my door step.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. I’m willing to pay a little bit more to a local business but many times it’s a lot more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Someday in the not too distant future we'll never leave the house to go shopping. "Quit yer complaining. When I was a kid we had to drive to the store for groceries".

    ReplyDelete