Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Warranty Followup

 As reported last time, I took my bike to the Harley dealer for some extended warranty repair work. I told you they replaced a light bulb and wanted to charge me hundreds of dollars for it. I asked them to remove the bulb as I didn't think that bulb was even something I still wanted in there. They put the old bulb back in and that was that. I didn't get any flack for being a cheapskate.
 The water cooled heads on this bike use an electric water pump for circulation. I guess that pump was a crap design because as they fail they are being replaced with a totally different style pump and thats what they put in my bike.
 I also complained of noise coming from the primary chain area. I knew the noise was related to the compensator because I had issues with it early in ownership. They replaced that compensator with the Screaming Eagle alternative. I'm not sure what the differences are but the service writer said it was the best one they could install under the warranty. I guess if this one goes 45k miles like the last one did then I don't have a lot to complain about.


 Now was the time to see the bill. With the light bulb removed from it the total was actually just my $50 deductible as originally promised. Sweet. I'm not sure what happened with that original phone call where he said they did the repairs, replaced the bulb and the total was well over $350. Harley advertises a pair of these bulbs in chrome cases for $400 so a single bulb couldn't be as much as stated. There were a lot of things on that bill, mostly all covered under warranty. He must have interpreted it wrong.
 My extended warranty cost me $1500 and this bill came out to $1200. That means unless the bike breaks before May I will have been better off not buying the warranty. On one hand I don't want problems on the road, on the other I wouldn't mind a major failure just to justify the warranty purchase. I took the bike for a test run last night and it sounds good. Not sure I'm gonna come out ahead on this one unless I put a $300 value on "peace of mind" knowing I'm covered if needed.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment