Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Time To Vent

  No I'm not pissy about anything and don't need to get anything off my chest. This post is actually about vents. You know, an aperture that allows the movement of air. Just go with the flow and follow along.

 I'm storing the Ultra in my enclosed trailer and last year at some point I opened the door and noticed the bike was sweating. I don't think it was because he got caught looking at pictures of curvy roads but rather he was a victim of condensation due to differences in air temp between the inside and outside of the trailer. I told myself I'd vent the trailer for this year and did just that.

 Do I need a power vent or just a couple of grated openings? I turned to the internet for some answers and found a range of opinions that left me with more questions than before I began this project. I finally decided the right thing to do was add a pair of waterproof vents that would allow a cross flow of air in the trailer. I also decided to get a small fan to help move things along. The fan is a heavy duty project fan like you find in a desktop PC console.

 First I needed to drill a couple three inch holes in the sides of the trailer walls. Those holes were then filled with the grate that came with the two piece vents.


 The outer piece keeps the rain out. It was caulked and screwed to the outside over each grate.




 I already had power running to the trailer for the trickle charger so I just ran a power cord to one vent where I'd install the fan. 



 Ya I know its not a very neat job of routing the wires so lets just keep it between me, you and the rest of the internet.

 The finished project looks fine from the outside. 



At first I didn't know if that little fan would make any difference but it sure seems to move a lot of air. I'll be sure to check in on the bike more often this winter and see if my efforts were worthwhile.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment