Sunday, December 9, 2018

Power Port

 A quick Saturday morning project took a little longer than expected due to the cold. I didn't look at the thermometer but it was cold enough for my Sorel Dominators but not cold enough to lace them up. I've had these boots for decades and usually only break em out for cold weather although I've been slipping them on lately for fetching the mail or chasing kids out of the yard.


 In order to get the big ass station wagon in the garage this winter I had to store the HD in the enclosed trailer. Getting into the trailer was no easy matter.


 The lock was froze and it took a bit of finagling to gain access to the riches inside. Because the Harley has a brand new battery in it I wanted to make sure the tender was on so it wouldn't die and freeze over the winter. Even at dealer cost they aren't giving those things away. I didn't want to try to squeeze an extension cord in the door seal because it seems the seal is pretty darn tight, as it should be. I decided it would be a good idea to add a power port.



I didn't put much thought into the plug location except to try to avoid any supports in the trailer wall.


The plug is designed with the cord coming out the back on an angle. I'm sure thats great for a thinner wall but makes a little extra work for a thick wall, or as in this case with two thin walls spaced apart.





  A simple project slowed down a bit by the cold but well worth it as I was getting nervous about the battery charge going down and my new battery freezing. I suppose if I wanted to put a light out there I could work on the bike in the trailer but really what that bike needs is a bath and nothing more.

Later.

2 comments:

  1. I installed one of those in the front of my truck and wired it into a quad outlet box attached to the frame. I use it to plug in the block heater, oil pan heater and both battery heaters. No cord dangling out of the grill like you usually see. The rubber cover sown rarely lasts even one winter due to the cold. It just snaps off. They now make one with a spring loaded hard plastic cover. It's lasting a lot longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to say its been a long time since I've needed to plug in my vehicle. Thats a pretty good idea with the 4 into 1 outlet.

    ReplyDelete