Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Mowby Blade Change

 Mowby Dick has been living up to his namesake, meaning he's a dick. I have a spot at the end of the driveway that is bare from parking over it. I decided it would be nice to get some grass to grow there so I dumped a little fresh topsoil down, raked it out and seeded it. Four seconds later Mowby Dick rolls through my project. I mean I knew he was gonna drive though it but couldn't he wait till I wasn't looking?



 Actually, its kind of an experiment. I want to see if I can grow seed despite his activity in the lawn. I've seen spilled grass seed growing in some pretty odd places so why not in my lawn? The machine doesn't weigh much so I guess its just a matter of how much spinning and churning of the area that he does.
 Yesterday I had an Automower customer come into the store and tell me about having to change his blades more often than suggested. He wasn't complaining, just keeping me up to date on his mowers progress. He keeps a perfectly maintained lawn and the Automower just does a nicer job with fresh blades. This made me think about when I last changed Mowbys blades and decided he was due. I set my screwdriver and blades near the edge of the drive and didn't have to wait long for that little dickhead to come over and try to run them over. I hit the stop button and punched in my security code.


  I flipped him over on his back and gave him a little scratchy poo to distract him from the fact I had a screwdriver in my other hand. He giggled and I quickly removed one of the blade screws.


  The silver disc is just a skid plate. The blades are mounted on a disc (below it in the pic) with three mounting screws.


 Line up the hole in the disc with a mounting screw. Then its a simple matter of removing the old screw and replacing the two sided razor blade with a new screw. Normally I'd take this opportunity to remove the top cover and clean him off a bit but Mowbys personal hygiene practices must be working cuz he didn't look too bad.


  After spending decades sitting on a mower cutting grass for others, it sure is nice to "cut grass" while sitting in a lawn chair slurping down a beer.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment