Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Workshop Wednesday-Broom Tech

 We have a system at the shop for fixin crap. When a unit comes in for repair we fill out a card with the customer info, equipment type and customer complaint. The cards go in a rack and the mechanics pull them in the order they came in. A while back I pull a card and I thought it was a joke. It was for a power broom. For those of you that don't speak fluent OPE (outdoor power equipment), a power broom looks like a string trimmer but has a nylon bristle brush rather than a trimmer head.
 The card reads "straighten bristles so broom doesn't bounce". Are you kidding me? There's like 18 kajillion bristles. And how do you straighten a nylon bristle? I look at the machine and they must have stored the unit standing up on the broom. Sure enough there was a section that consisted of bristles rolled over from the weight of the machine. This made the broom bounce and almost impossible to use.
 So a lot of ideas went through my head. The first one was "how much is a new one cuz this is gonna suck". I finally decide to try to add some heat and see if they got soft enough to be straightened. When I hit them with the heat gun something amazing happened.



 They all just stood up as straight as new! I didn't know nylon bristles had a memory. At least these do. OK so some of you more edumacated readers out there may have had a clue. I didn't. I gave the broom a test run and it's smooth as silk.
 So there you have it. I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

End.


No comments:

Post a Comment