Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Motorin

 Just a view from the saddle on the new Ultra Limited. This bike is designed to provide a luxury touring experience. It's a lot busier than a sportster, that's for sure.


 I'm digging the infotainment system. The older I get the worse my vision gets and this screen is large enough that I can read it without glasses. One of the displays tells me things like outside air temp and engine oil pressure. Other screen shots include info on the radio, cb, usb, phone and nav system. The system can be controlled with voice commands, joy stick or touch screen. My phone can be linked via blue tooth and accessed with the headset and mic that came standard with the bike. I gotta tell ya, I am impressed with how well it works. The second day I had the bike I took a phone call without any prior knowledge of how it all worked. Answering the call and having a normal conversation was all very natural. The other day I decided to make a call from the bike. Simple, and the person I called had no idea I was motoring down the road.
 Now I know some of you out there think this is all nonsense and doesn't belong on a bike. Great, whatever works for you. This thing does have an off switch and I don't always have it on. Some days I just want to relax in the wind. Other days I'm commuting and taking care of business. This bike fits both needs.
 Lets see...what else. The LCD display has the odometer, dual trip meters and range to empty. There are dummy lights for cruise, abs, fog lights and high beam. The gauge to the far right is a voltmeter. I like having that on a machine with so much electrical draw.
 Speaking of "range to empty" I've been splitting my miles between solo commuting and two up evening rides. Looks like I'm getting about 42 mpg. Thats the same number I got on the Kawasaki Voyager and Aprilia Futura. It has been getting better as I rack up the miles but I'd be surprised if it gets much higher.





  The sound system on the bike happens to be the best sounding tunes in the house. The other night we found ourselves sitting in the garage drinking beer watching a storm roll in as we listened to music by the glow of the tail lights. I figure for the cost of this bike we might as well get as much use out of it as possible.  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment