Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Grandpas Table Saw Continued

 Back in November we talked about the table saw that used to belong to my Grandfather. I've picked away at refurbishing that saw but only in very small chunks. First I talked to a machinist about repairing the arbor. I bought a new pulley and it didn't feel too bad on there. After some discussion about load, usage and cost to repair, we both decided it would be best to just use a little epoxy on the arbor. It really wasn't even needed but I felt I something should be done to justify taking everything apart in the first place.



 The saw looked pretty rough and needed some cleaning and paint. I also spent some time cleaning up the mechanisms that control depth of cut and angle. I still need to set the 0 degree stop and align the pointer but it got late during my last session and I'll try to remember to finish that next time.
 Speaking of next time, this project was started in late November but I think I've only worked on it three separate times. There seems to be extra time in the winter for projects but that can easily get jacked up when it snows. This last weekend I had to be to work at 2am on both Saturday and Sunday to relocate the white stuff. I'd get home with an afternoon to myself only to end up napping in my recliner. After that it takes a day to get back on schedule. I don't remember it being this difficult when I was in my twenties.


 The saw itself is completed with the exception of hanging the motor. After that I'm gonna look at modifying that home made stand the saw is mounted to. I think there may be some room for improvement here but in the end I may just say screw it and slap it back together the way Grandpa had it set up. I'll keep you posted.

Later.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job, there's a lot to be said for keeping those old tools going. I have a few of my grandfathers hand tools, he died when I was fairly young, so most of his stuff went to my uncle. It'd be nice to have'em now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have a few other tools that belonged to grandpa. Some I use and some is just old and obsolete.

      Delete
  2. My kind of man!!! Lucky Stacy!

    ReplyDelete