Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Tool Cabinet Upgrade

 I'm still not quite done with the mods to the tool cabinet. Huh, I gotta call it something besides a tool cabinet because there ain't a darn tool in there. The cabinet makes room for tools in the 72 and locker by creating space for non-tool crap that loaded up those boxes. Mini fridge, parts bins, clothes and a printer take up the bulk of the space. In the morning my lunch box and cooler go in there and that still leaves a couple cubic feet of storage space for more crap. Thats fine, gotta have room for expansion.
 At the beginning of the day the cabinet looked like this with the exception of that upright support in front of the shelf, to the right of the printer.


 That support is for a bracket that will hold a computer monitor. Remember, this is "gear head on a budget" and I didn't go out and buy a monitor for my tool box. One of my daughters (and Tyler) upgraded their tv and gave us the old one, freeing up this one for me.



 So now when I open the cabinet door it also reveals a monitor. That bracket allows it to swing out for better viewing when I'm sitting in front of my pull out work table.



 The monitor will also swing all the way to the right and tuck back allowing access to the printer.
 Is this needed? No but a lot of things aren't "needed". It will be useful and practical in many ways but there is also a "cool" factor that plays into this too. I like it.
 I think my toolbox has morphed into a work center. I have an office upstairs but I found myself running up and down the steps all the time to help customers or whatever. Now if someone has a
"chainsaw emergency", I'll already be at my work bench to help. Also moving the laptop between the office and my box was a drag. Then running back upstairs to print something and back down with the report. Chainsaws and automowers now get connected to laptops for testing, updates and warranty reports, hence the need for a laptop. Thats why I originally made the hutch, to hold the laptop and printer. Its easiest to have the laptop and printer right at the box and now having the monitor will mean when someone wants to see the screen they won't be looking over my shoulder and rubbing their nuts on my back. I won't miss that.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment