Sunday, May 20, 2018

Friday Night Flames

 I had a chance Friday night to putz around in the spray booth again and practice true fire flames. My first try was ok I guess if you squint just right but more important is that I learned a lot. This is my second attempt and while its obvious I need work with the layout of the flames, I am happier with the colors. My yellow isn't green this time which is a good thing. Red in the background is ok but my orange could be brighter.


 I quit before adding the last layer of flames or highlights so it looks weird but as it grew I realized something was wrong. I'm not gonna paint a campfire on my sporty so why am I practicing these vertical flames? Next time I'll lay them out horizontal and stretch them out as though the bike is on fire and haulin ass. Thats really the traditional look I would like to be able to paint. IF, and thats a big if, I get to the point where I feel I'm ready to put them on the bike then maybe I'd like to add something in the fire. Not sure what, or if I want it to be obvious but I think something should live in there. Maybe Waldo or better yet the rat from my stickers.

Later.

3 comments:

  1. Looks pretty good even if it is a campfire. The green suggested some chemicals were added to the fire. How many layers is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three layers but each layer is three steps. First layer is white with a touch of orange, followed by red candy then clear. Second layer is white with lighter orange followed by tangerine orange candy and then clear. Third layer is white with a touch of yellow added then covered by tequila sunrise yellow candy and then, you guessed it, clear. That last layer of yellow candy went on too wet and ran a bit. I guess some guys use a heat gun to dry and then build more paint to brighten things up. I may give that a try next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. Looking forward to seeing something similar on a tank.

    ReplyDelete