Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Workshop Wednesday-55 Willys

 There was a time when I was into 4x4 trucks. I had big and small jeeps, a v8 Land Cruiser and full size pickups. Trail riding, mud drags, ice racing, I was into it all. Even on the day my wife and I married, it seemed like a good idea to involve trucks.

Yes this was taken on our wedding day. Yes thats us in a truck parked in a river.



 My favorite truck was a '55 Willys pickup. When I bought this truck it was a completely stock runner.

 The 6 cylinder engine wasn't gonna be enough for what I wanted to do. The frame was rusty and the suspension would never have enough travel for decent off roading.

 I decided the best way to upgrade this truck was to just put the cab and box on a modern chassis. At some point I added a hoist. I can't remember why I took the step side box off but it sure looked a lot better than this wooden flatbed.


 The engine was a chevy 383 stroker. The truck had such goodies as a hydraulic winch, belt driven air compressor, decent sound system and red/white zebra pattern interior.


 This is the only other pic I have of the truck. I think this was an Independence day parade in my home town.
 For me a big part of bikes and trucks is the building stage. I spend a lot of time figuring out what I want and then try to build it on a budget. It seems that after some time of enjoying my project, I have the urge to start another one. The new project is usually initially funded by the selling of the old project and that was the fate of my '55 Willys.

No comments:

Post a Comment