Wednesday, January 18, 2017

BSA Engine

 You've been hearing about my '67 BSA project for a long time. I'll make a little progress then it will sit for months. This post is about a little progress.


 It started out just cleaning up some parts that have been sitting around.  I needed to put them together or put them away because they were taking up a lot of space in my little workshop. One thing led to another and the rings were on the pistons and the pistons were on the rods.


 With only one ring compressor I quickly realized I wasn't going to be able to slip the jugs over the pistons. I had to remove the pistons from the rods and install them into the cylinders first. Then I was able to just hold the cylinders in place over the rods and push the wrist pins in.


 I spent the better half of the afternoon looking for missing hardware. This stuff is all british standard so its not like I can just grab nuts out of the bin.
 This is as far as I got. I need to try to remember what issues I had with the transmission before I ripped this thing apart. I seem to remember something about an oil leak and a four speed with only three ranges. I don't remember what I had for breakfast yesterday, how am I gonna remember what went wrong twenty years ago?
 I guess I'll just treat it like one of those minimal information repairs I get at work. The work order would read: The doohicky is all discombobulated.

Later.

5 comments:

  1. Happy to see your working on my bike again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I can relate. Spent the better part of the day reassembling a 1965 Honda engine I tore apart a year ago. A lot of "Wasn't there a shim here?" and "Where does this part go?" The proof will be in the firing up (whenever that happens) and it'll either work or fart oil all over the bench and become discombobulated. (I love technical jargon.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm posting a link to your blog. http://ontwowheels-eh.blogspot.com/
    By coincidence the poster (Dan) before you has recently gotten involved in those guitars. Small world!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scott. I've discovered there's quite an extensive interest in cigar box guitars and folk instruments generally that I never knew existed before. Quite fascinating actually.

      Delete