Sunday, September 30, 2018

Making More Room In The Shed

 Now that I have an automower taking care of my grass cutting chores I feel its time to get rid of my little rear engine rider. Sure I could keep it around for doing Forrest Gump impersonations while grinding up leaves but I have a bagger push mower that will work better for that chore. A big sale at work next week will be a good opportunity to try to peddle it because I need to raise some cash to pay up a bet my wife insists she won. She says our garbage can is one color and I say its another. She thinks she is right just because everyone she asks about the color agrees with her. I feel a need to pay up and just get this over with, even though in my mind I know its green, not grey...or at least the old can was green. Anyway, the problem with selling it is that it leaks engine oil worse than an old harley. I can't just pressure wash it and hope for the best because the leak reveals itself as soon as you start the engine. For the longest time I just assumed the leak was the sump gasket but today when I pulled it from the shed there was a huge puddle under it and no oil at all in the crankcase. The problem must be the lower crank seal.
 I pushed the machine from the shed to the garage where I could better work on it.



 Nothing has been fixed in this garage in a long time. I was looking forward to some quiet wrenching.


 Initially I was prepared to yank the engine and all of the associated bull that went along with that. After taking a closer look I discovered this was gonna be an easier job than I thought. I pulled the mower deck, one rear wheel and the crank pulley.


 What I found was a huge mess except where the seal was leaking, That area was washed clean from all the oil flow.


 Of all the gaskets, seals and o-rings I bought for this repair, I only used this crank seal. The old one came out too easily and the new one pressed in just about right. In a couple days I'll know if the repair was a success.

 It really was a simple job and this is all the tools I needed. Now I feel the need to get into another project. I suppose I should get back into learning how to use that airbrush and get the sporty painted. I'll keep you posted.

Later.

4 comments:

  1. My project is the Harley Barge. last weekend Alicia and I went out for a ride and I had noise coming from the front wheel. I assumed it was time for new brake pads and replaced them. My noise continued and now it's on the jack waiting for wheel bearings to get here Monday. One side was grinding somehow I feel that they should last longer than 12,000 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine have 40,000 on them and they felt fine when I put tires on the bike a few months ago. I'd be curious if you find any evidence of water/rust in that bearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was rust behind the bearing and very little grease in it. I destroyed it taking it out. It definitely had grit inside.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if anyone ever used a pressure washer on it.

    ReplyDelete