Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Torn Boots

 Part of being cooped up at home involves looking for things to do to keep busy. Like many, I spend more time online than usual but I have a lot of projects that can keep me away from turning into a computer vegetable. I am also lucky enough to be unlucky and that provides extra things to do as well. Take the big ass station wagon for example. Back in November I reported a low oil pressure condition that seemed to have gone away after an oil change and new filter install. In fact its been perfect for 7100 miles. Perfect that is until the other day when I lost oil pressure again. At least thats what the gauge was telling me. Neither time I "lost pressure" did I ever hear any lifter noise so I'm a bit suspicious. Now I had an excuse to do some online research and discovered that the sending units in these motors are notorious for shitting the bed. I also found out there is a little screen located under the pressure sensor. I think it is there to keep crap out of the system that drops engine cylinders under light load. Theres a name for that system but I don't give a crap what its called. I decided that a plugged screen from sludge or a bad sensor was the next logical thing to try. I now know my bad oil filter theory was wrong because I've changed the oil and filter a few times since then and still have a problem.


 The first thing I decided to do was buy some motor flush. If I have sludge buildup I'm gonna start an active program to try to clean it up. After reading the ingredients on the label I think I'll come up with my own cocktail before the next oil change.


 The new sending unit, screen, oil filter, engine oil, motor flush and fuel line disconnect tool came to about a nert. Not bad if it works. The sucky part is that I had just changed the oil last week.
 Getting to the oil pressure sending unit is about equivalent to building a ship in a bottle, tying your shoe with one hand or using chopsticks for the first time. Its hidden behind the intake manifold and in the case of a Yukon, also under the dash cowl. I did it but it wasn't fun.


 The sending unit I pulled out of there was not the original so I hope I'm on to something. I really wanted to see that screen but when I snaked a pick back there and hooked it, it came flying out and I couldn't find it. I looked a long time knowing that if it was dirty I had found my problem and I could have some closure. Now I just have to hope that I've solved the problem, at least temporarily.


 Another project keeping me busy at least for an afternoon was to install two new cv shafts in the big ass station wagon. The boot on one was torn and on the other completely separated.


 Cussing was kept to a minimum. Everything came apart easily. I disconnected the upper A arm to allow clearance for the old shaft to come out. Those A arms have only been in there since the lift kit was installed so nothing was seized. One thing I did notice was a bit of tire rubbing during full lock. Thats something to think about if I replace these tires with some decent meats.


 We'll see how things go. The truck could use a tune up but do I wait to see if it needs the oil pump looked at? With this many miles do I replace an oil pump or rebuild the engine? The guy that traded it in did so just before the rust was beginning to show so I've got that to consider as well. Oh well, right now I've got plenty of time to think about it.

Later.


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like it has a real oil pressure sensor. The sensor in my 2005 Dodge is just a 6 psi switch. If the computer "sees" oil pressure then the gauge displays a value that meets user expectation. Too me, that is a joke...

    ReplyDelete