Sunday, August 28, 2016

A Matter of Flow

 Yesterday I found an elusive spare hour in my regular schedule of eat, sleep and work, so I used it to mess around with the Rat Turd. Lately I've been thinking a fuel flow problem might be causing the running issues I've had on the hiway. One possibility was the fuel tube that feeds the bank of four carbs. At one point it was leaking so I epoxied it in place and I thought there was a chance I fouled that up. After a little testing I decided that wasn't the case.
 The next place I looked was in the fuel petcock. A lot of people claim that Kreem tank sealer doesn't work well, comes loose and plugs things up. I wondered if I was having an issue with it but nope, I was just having a problem with a small chunk of rubber stuck in the petcock. I still haven't decided where this debris came from.

 While I had everything apart I figured it was a good time to make efforts to not only clean but to improve fuel flow.

 I just didn't think this little hole was enough to feed four hungry carbs at full tilt so I drilled it out. Now at least the input, output and passages in and out of the bowl are all the same size. I also needed to pre-filter the fuel before it got to this point and the mesh that covers the bowl. To do that I used a filter from a sprinkler head.

 I'm not sure how well this plastic filter will hold up in fuel but because I have a whole bag of them and they fit nicely I'm willing to try.
 So that's it for now. Once I get motivated today I'll try the bike to see if I was successful. Confidence level is 4 stars out of 5 so I won't even hook up the trailer before I leave. I hope that doesn't come back to bite me in the ass. If it fails, I don't have a plan B so I'd have to rethink the whole problem.      
 My plan earlier this year was to have the BSA ready for the Watson Street Classic Bike Show on the 17th of September. The chances of that happening are about the same as monkeys flying out of my butt or winning the lottery so this bike needs to run. What's the point in having it if I don't let people laugh at it? Worse case I'll take one of the other bikes just to support the cause.

Later.


No comments:

Post a Comment